Car accidents can cause immense physical and mental pain to a victim.
He may also have to bear a lot of expenses for the medical treatment and repair or replacement of the vehicle and other property damaged in the car accident. The insurance claim can however, help pay for expenses resulting out of a car accident.
A car accident may leave a victim totally confused and overwhelmed, and the impending medical and repair bills often make things worse. As if this was not enough, the insurance company may try to minimize the claims. Lack of knowledge about the claim process can make things quite difficult for the car accident victim. Here are some tips on handling insurance claims.
Insurance Claim Dos
- Contact your insurance company as soon as you get injured in a car accident. After getting immediate medical care for the injuries, you should notify your insurer about the car accident injuries.
- Maintain a record of all your conversations with the insurance company. Take down names and contact information of all insurance company representatives you speak with.
- Make sure you have all information related to your insurance coverage before you speak to the insurance company.
- Gather all evidences from the scene of accident. Get contact details of eye witnesses and take as many photographs of the scene and the vehicle as you can.
- Maintain records of all expenses resulting out of the car accident including the medical bills, repair bills, car rentals, receipts etc.
- Consult with a car accident attorney to ensure that all your rights as a victim of car accident are protected.
Insurance Claim Don’ts
- Do not jump at the first offer made by the insurance company. It is highly likely that the insurance company will try to settle your claim for a smaller amount than it is worth. Sign any settlement only after you have consulted with your car accident lawyer.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company immediately after the accident. Speak to an attorney before you do that.
- Do not delay filing the claim, as many insurance companies have set tight deadlines for the claim filling.
- Never sign a release before speaking with your injury attorney.
St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers
If you or someone close to you has become a victim of a car accident, and needs help dealing with the insurance company, get in touch with an experienced car accident attorney at The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. We have experience dealing with insurance companies and can help you at every stage of the claim process, while working to get your claim in a convenient and timely manner.
To schedule a free consultation with a St. Louis Injury Lawyer at our law firm call (314) 361-4242 to contact us online.
photo credit: Bob n Renee via Flickr