An automobile insurance claim will strengthen with the presence of supporting documents.
It will also substantiate the compensation sought by the policy holder. The actions following the accident can have a considerable effect on the settlement. Due to this, it is essential to do the following.
Take pictures of:
- The scene of the accident right after the accident. It will provide information about the time, lighting conditions, weather, and position of the vehicles involved.
- The scene of the accident following the accident. It will provide information regarding the intersection of the roads at the accident site without any obstructions to the view of the damaged vehicles. It will also provide information about the road condition following the accident, including any damage to the roadside and skid marks.
- The injury resulting from the accident. Images of the stitches, surgery, broken limbs, and hospitalization should be taken. Images provide more information compared to an ordinary narration.
- Damage to the vehicle. The images should show all the sides of the vehicle. Images should also be taken when the vehicle is brought to the body or tow shop. It will provide information about the damage, the degree of damage, and how the vehicle was hit.
- Impact or skid marks on the road. The measurement of the skid marks can also be taken. The speed of the vehicle prior to the impact can be calculated. Images of any marks or holes on the road or highway can be taken along with any damage on nearby properties.
Get the statements of witnesses – Obtain the names, addresses, and contact information of everyone who witnessed the accident. Written statements can also be obtained from the witnesses showing what they witnessed at the time of the accident.
Search for News Reports – Obtain a copy of newspapers that covered the accident. These reports should become a part of the documentation for the claim since it was considerable enough to elicit coverage by the newspaper.
Obtain Police Reports – Find copies of the police report, which can provide additional value to the claim. This is particularly true of the report indicates that the other driver was given a citation and ticket for moving violations or DUI.
Be Aware of Special Conditions – DUI, driving without a license, speeding, weather, light conditions, and time among others.
After the claim value is established and all the records showing the information associated with the accident are obtained, the policy holder will learn that the settlement can be facilitated by a good number of insurance adjusters. Get in touch with the insurance adjuster and look for a supervisor who is authorized to approve the automobile insurance claim.
A number of companies may improperly delay the settlement process anticipating that a lower offer will be accepted by the policy holder. This is not a good situation to be in. Being an informed claimant who is aware of the value of the claim will be the best approach in getting a favorable automobile accident insurance settlement.
Should I Speak with an Attorney?
BEFORE speaking with any insurance adjusters, get in contact with an experienced car accident lawyer. Your attorney can look over your claim and help you determine what it is actually worth. With this knowledge, your attorney will be in the best position to get you the full amount of compensation you deserve.
If you have been in a St. Louis automobile accident, contact The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. We have been helping Missouri auto accident victims for over 15 years and have thousands of cases to our credit. Call (314) 361-4242 or fill out the contact form on the right for a free case evaluation.
photo credit: ChazWags via Flickr