Driving at night in bad weather can pose a big challenge for any driver. Use the following tips to learn how to stay safe under these conditions.
The biggest challenge for any driver, whether young or old, is to drive in the rain after dark. Many motor vehicle accidents occur when it rains during the night. However, some precautions can help avoid night time accidents caused by poor visibility and adverse weather conditions. In this post, our St. Louis car accident lawyer offers some tips to drive safely in the rain during the night.
Rain Repellents, Windshield Wipers, and Headlights
1. There are rain repellents available in the market that can be applied to the windshield to improve visibility in the rain at night. The rain repellent creates a protective layer on the windshield and causes the rain water to bead up and does not let it slide off the windshield.
2. The quality of your windshield wipers directly affects your visibility in the rain.
- Experts recommend that windshield wipers should be replaced at least once every year so that visibility is not affected. It is especially important to replace the wipers if you park your vehicle in the open.
- Some wiper blades are designed to exert uniform pressure along the blade. This ensures a smoother wipe and better performance.
- Rain repellent wiper blades offer better performance and higher durability. These wipes blades are a great choice for your car if you have to drive in the rain frequently.
- Invest in flexible wiper blades or silicone wiper blades. Flexible ones work well in cold weather and offer a quiet and smooth wipe. If you driver a high performance vehicle, then silicone wiper blades are a good choice as they are extremely effective in adverse weather conditions such as rain, fog, and snow.
3. With prolonged use, your headlights can become dim and as a result diminish your visibility. Regularly check the headlights for brightness.
4. If you have to frequently drive at night in the rainy season, then it is a good idea to change to high quality bulbs.
5. If your headlight lenses are dirty and cloudy, clean them properly before taking your vehicle out for a drive at night.
Keep Your Speed In Check
6. Use low beam head lights when it’s raining. It improves visibility and ensures that others can spot your car easily.
7. Adjust the rear view and side mirrors properly. Set the day and night switch located on the rear view mirror appropriately to improve visibility when it is raining.
8. No matter what steps you take to improve your visibility at night in the rain, driving will still be difficult and risky, so it important to keep your speed under check on wet roads.
If you have been injured in an accident caused by another driver’s negligence, immediately seek help of an experienced St. Louis car accident attorney. Call The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. at (314) 361-4242 for a free consultation.